Tuesday, August 5, 2008

What's a good comedy to you???

So, this Wednesday sees the release of Pineapple Express, the newest film from what is currently the reigning champs of on screen comedy, the Apatow collective. However, there seems to be something different with this otherwise basic stoner comedy. I'll get to that in a minute, but first let me get off my chest some of my thoughts about the current state of American comedy...

The U.S. makes dumb comedies. That may come off as a little condesending, but it's not meant to. Today's comedy films are, to me, a basic SNL skit, but lengthed for 90 minutes. They have no real plot line to them, and seem to have more joke based humor, than character based. It's like watching a live action Mad Magazine, especially with films like Meet The Spartans. They are shot as though some one sat a camera on a counter and just left it there, and when a joke doesn't hit, the overall momentum of the film is destroyed. It's akin to watching a film like Paris Je T'aime, or a simmilar vignette style film, or a collection of shorts, and throughing in some student films inbetween films by the Coen Brothers or Alexander Payne. Here, let me give you some examples. Here is a list of some of the major theatrical comedy releases from this year...

- First Sunday
- 27 Dresses
- Mad Money
- Meet The Spartans
- Over Her Dead Body
- Strange Wilderness
- Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins
- Fools Gold
- Be Kind Rewind
- Charlie Bartlett
- Semi Pro
- Step Brothers

That is a good example of what for me makes a good comedy and a bad comedy. My favorite comedy this year so far is probably Smart People (have any of you seen that? If so, I want to hear what you guys have to say...)and there are many good things about that. The plot is great, the performances are solid, and most importantly, it's really funny, but without going for jokes. It's R rated and instead of being an American Pie, it's more of a Rushmore, and that's something I admire.

Now, that brings me to Pineapple Express...To me, this film has the chance to be one of the best comedies in years, and it's one that I am really looking forward to. Sure, I despise stoner comedies, but this looks like it's adding something new to the genre. It's hanging out with Brad Pitt's character from True Romance for an hour and a half, and that's something I want to see. Plus, with such a skilled director behind it, it's one that I'm really excited about.

So, this brings me to my question. What makes a good comedy to you? Are laughs the only thing that matters, or do you need something more? What is your favorite comedy of the year? Of all time?

I can't wait to hear what you all have to say...

They are going ahead with Justice League, and it's set to restart shooting next year...thoughts?

Go see something good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your number one spot for a daily dose of movie information. From reviews to top 10's to random news and notes, it's all here at I Are Movies.

Total Pageviews