Wednesday, May 20, 2009

NEWS: Early Buzz for Inglourious Basterds, 3 New Clips...

So, it's officially here.

At the Cannes Film Festival, Quentin Tarantino's new film, Inglourious Basterds has finally premiered, to what now can be considered rawkus hype. Sure, there are a couple of negative reviews, one of which I will post at the end in video form, but it is nearly a consesus hit. Hell, it's even been hinted at being a favorite for the festival's main award, The Palm D'or, due to the festivals lack of stand out films. Here are just a couple of reviews for the film.

Total Film's Sam Ashurst: “Not only did I love every minute, if the French projectionist wanted to cue it up and roll it again from the start, I would have sat through the whole film again, with the biggest grin on my face. This is Quentin’s best film since Jackie Brown. It might even be his best film since Pulp Fiction.” “[Eli Roth is] the only weak link I could spot” … “Tarantino dialogue at its best” … “QT’s magpie eye has never been sharper, swooping down on Italian cinema and plucking the very best shots, framing and music to create a deserving homage to the spaghetti westerns of my youth.”

Empire's Chris Hewitt: “Rather brilliant. Every bit as idiosyncratic as the spelling of its title, it’s a wonderfully-acted movie that subverts expectation at every turn. And it may represent the most confident, audacious writing and directing of QT’s career.” … “The performances are superb across-the-board.” “[Christoph Waltz] may be a shoo-in for a Best Supporting Oscar nom” … “Some of his Grindhouse flourishes – large captions stamped on screen, the usual flirting with structure and chronology, offbeat musical cues (a David Bowie track shows up at one point) and the sudden introduction of a hip narrator (Samuel L. Jackson) – may irk some” … “certainly very talky,”

Now, here is one of two negative reviews that I have seen, and it comes to us from The Hollywood Reporter. While I haven't seen the film, I have read the screenplay, and I must say, WTF THR? I'm not sure if this guy had seen anything before hand, but while I totally have insane respect for this guy, I must say, his critiscm is very strong. It's a talky film, which should have been known from the outset since it's not a Tarantino film or anything, and while it IS historically inaccurate, I think that's a nulified point, as I don't think Tarantino was going for accuracy, nor has it been sold as a historically accurate film. Great critic, not the strongest points, in my humble opinion.

Check out that review at the link below...

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid769343686?bctid=23801914001

More reviews can be seen here (via /Film).

What I can tell you though is that three new clips from Basterds have been released, and all look great!

Clip 1: Bridget von Hammersmark (Diane Kruger) informing Lt. Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) of two recent developments in the operation



Clip 2: Lt. Aldo Raine (Pitt) interrogating a German soldier about the locations of their camps and the artillery they have. He respectively declines the offer and decides to die for his country.



Clip 3: Col. Hans Landa (Christoph Waltz) telling Perrier (Denis Menochet) how Jews are like rats. From the films opening, which may be the most intense opening audiences may see this year. It's just a superb pieceo of writing, and this clip looks stunnning.



Wow, just really wow. I can't wait for this film. What about YOU?

Go see something good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your number one spot for a daily dose of movie information. From reviews to top 10's to random news and notes, it's all here at I Are Movies.

Total Pageviews