Wednesday, May 6, 2009

OPINION: Who Should Direct Ghostbusters 3?

First, this film is not really going anywhere. Yes, the videogame, which is basically Ghostbusters 3 as 99% of the original cast is back, as well as Dan Akroyd writing the game, but the film is far from certain.

However, that never stopped anyone from talking about it.

This includes the guys over at Obsessed With Film have made a list of the 8 directors they believe should direct this film, and I am here to tell them why they are both right, and wrong in their choices. Just in my humble opinion mind you:

No. 1 - JUDD APATOW

As much as I hate to admit it, this may be the go to guy. Sure, it may be cliche to say it, but think about this. The film would be about a group of guys fighting ghosts, then handing off the reigns to another group of guys. If there is ONE thing that I take away from Apatow's two previous films, Knocked Up and 40 Year Old Virgin, is that he is the current master of the modern male dynamic. Nobody is more adept to what it's like to be a modern male, and what it is like to be in a group of guys. I'm not his biggest fan, but for a sure-fire hit, he's the guy.

No. 2 - SAM RAIMI

I'm a huge fan of this guy, and I honestly think that his style and sense of humor is the best fit on this list.


No. 3 - JASON REITMAN

Yes, because when I think Ghostbusters, I think Juno. No on so many levels. I love the guy, but where the other two fit perfectly, Reitman doesn't really fit the style of film that I think Ghostbusters 3 would and should be. Not my choice.

No. 4 - MICHEL GONDRY

While not being a good fit at all, I would LOVE to see his style be plastered onto this series. Just think of Gondry's dream like sensibilities put over this style of film. We would get a guy in a blanket dressed as a ghost, and that kind of tactile feel. This would be the riskiest pick, and one that I would be the most excited, and nervous, to see.

No. 5 - DAVID GORDON GREEN

Easily one of my ten favorite directors working today, but he is also the one director that seems the most out of his element in this style of film. Sure, he's done comedy with Pineapple Express, but the success of his direction, which was amazing, of that film helped greatly for the 70's style comedy and 80's style action film that Express was made into.

No. 6 - IVAN REITMAN

He did the original, so sure, why not.

No. 7 - JODY HILL

This one really doesn't fit. I love the guy, and think that he may be the best comedy director, or one of the best, working today, but if you have seen Observe and Report or Foot Fist Way, you will understand why he doesn't work for this film.

No. 8 - HAROLD RAMIS

Cast member, and solid comedic director, just not one that I would be excited to see. This franchise is already basically dead, so to simply stick to one of the cast members may be safe, but it also doesn't intrigue the mainstream viewer. Of all of the people on the list, this is the least intriguing.

What do YOU think?

Go see something good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your number one spot for a daily dose of movie information. From reviews to top 10's to random news and notes, it's all here at I Are Movies.

Total Pageviews