Sunday, October 12, 2008

WEEKEND WRAP UP...

Hey guys! Here is the box office top 10...

1. Beverly Hills Chihuahua
2. Quarantine
3. Body Of Lies
4. Eagle Eye
5. Nick and Norahs Infinite Playlist
6. The Express
7. Nights in Rodanthe
8. Appaloosa
9. The Dutchess
10. City of Ember

So, Beverly Hills Chihuahua grossed another 17 million bucks, with Body of Lies grossly underperforming. Here's my question to you all. Why?

So, this week is a pretty interesting week for DVD's. Here are the noteable releases...
- Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull...
What can I really say that hasn't already been said. Sure, it's like a bad episode of the X-Files, but there is also something inherently fun with it. I've got the perfect idea. Go to your local store, and buy the first three Indiana Jones films, or at least Raiders. It is one of the best film series ever, and Raiders of the Lost Ark may be one of the greatest adventure films in history. That said, rent, don't buy, Indy 4...
- 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days
A beautiful if emotionally devistating film about a young woman helping a freind get an illegal abortion. I don't want to give anything away about this film, because it truly is one of the most emotionally exhausting yet amazing films that I've seen all year. Please, do yourself a favor, and see this film...
- Mongol
Small film, part of a trilogy, about the life of Genghis Kahn. I don't really know anything about this film, other than people I really respect loved it, so check it out...
~~DVD PICK OF THE WEEK~~
- Standard Operating Procedures
The brand new documentary from amazing filmmaker, Errol Morris, about the heinous acts that took place at the Abu Ghraib Prison. I haven't seen this film, so that's really all I know about it, but it's beloved by many of my favorite critics, and is from one of the greatest documentarians today. Check it out!

So, this week is a pretty lame week for theatrical releases. First is the videogame adaptation, Max Payne, starring Mark Whalberg as the troubled hero of the same name. I loved the video game, and the early trailers have me really excited to check this one out. Then we have the new teen sex comedy, Sex Drive. I saw this one about a month ago, and found it to be pretty sub par. It's funny, but not enough in a summer loaded with solid comedies. Finally, and most interestingly, we have the new George W. Bush biopic, W, from director Oliver Stone. Early reviews have been solid, but there have also been a good amount of script reviews that have been taking this film to task. That all said, I like Stone, at least a few of his films, and the subject matter is so interesting, that this, if you take my opinion for anything more than that, is the one that you all should be checking out. Expect a review of this and/or Max Payne, and go back a few notes to check out my reveiw of Sex Drive.

That's all I've got for now. Come back later for more news, notes, and a top 10...

Go see something good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your number one spot for a daily dose of movie information. From reviews to top 10's to random news and notes, it's all here at I Are Movies.

Total Pageviews