Monday, November 9, 2009

NEWS: Three More Join Black Swan...


It looks like one of the first scripts I’ve ever reviewed, Darren Aronofsky’s Black Swan, is not only brilliant in and of itself, but the cast being assembled around it is one of the most interesting I can remember.

Add three more huge names to that list.

Black Swan, which is going to begin being shot in New York City in a matter of weeks, is set to star Natalie Portman as Nina, a veteran ballerina who is locked in a battle with another, hot shot dancer Lilly, which is going to be played by Mila Kunis. According to /Film and his faithful spies, three more top notch actors are going to join up. Here’s the scoop, straight from the horses mouth:

So what other actors and actresses will join Portman and Kunis in the new Aronofsky film? Vincent Cassel, Winona Ryder, and Barbara Hershey (The Portrait of a Lady). There are three Academy Award nominations within the credits of these three new additions.

One can assume, and this appears to be correct according to sources, that Ryder will portray Beth, Nina’s “friend” who is running right into the end of her illustrious career. The ballet’s director, Yevna, will be the role that Cassel will portray, and Hershey will most likely play Nina’s mother, which is interesting, because at one point in time, Meryl Streep was rumored to be in the hunt for this role.

This all could not be better news. I’m on the record as calling the script brilliant, and “like a slow burn that leaves you with a scar for days.” The script really stuck with me, and some of the images in the film, just the script itself, haunted me for more than I would have liked. It’s a dark, dark tale, one that I think is going to be damn near impossible to truly market, but one that I think will be something that NO ONE is going to want to miss. Now with a cast like this, it’s just even more anticipated by me, particularly in the addition of Cassel. I love Ryder, and think that she is perfect to play this dancer on the tale end of her career (hopefully with a Mickey Rourke-esque supporting role turn), but I don’t think Aronofsky could have gotten a better or more pitch perfect actor for this role. It’s a charismatic character, one that sexy, violent, and controlling. I love Cassel as an actor, and I think he is perfect for not only this dark film, but also the role itself.

I don't want to go too deep into the plot right now, but if you want, click the link below to head over to my script review of Black Swan.

CLICK HERE FOR MY REVIEW OF THE SCRIPT
What do YOU think?

Go see something good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your number one spot for a daily dose of movie information. From reviews to top 10's to random news and notes, it's all here at I Are Movies.

Total Pageviews