Monday, March 9, 2009
NEWS: Green Lantern Film Details...
So, over the weekend, it was announced that the upcoming DC Comic/Warner Brothers film adaptation of The Green Lantern (my second favorite superhero fyi) got a December 2010 release date. However, more news has come out, and a lot of these details are quite good. Thanks to The Movie Blog for the heads up...
* They’re definitely going with the Hal Jordan version of Green Lantern.
* A lot of time will be used to establish the character of Hal Jordan, so that audiences can connect with him prior to acquiring the ring that gives him his superpowers.
* Big stakes and big action, but there will be humor in the film (think a similar tone to Iron Man, rather than The Dark Knight).
* They are in pre-production, they have a production designer and a costume designer and they’re heading to Australia next week to scout locations.
* They are NOT going for a younger Hal Jordan - they’re looking for someone in their late 20’s/early 30’s.
So there are a few things I would like to point out. First, the fact that they are going with the Hal Jordan verison of the Lantern, makes the mythology and backstory of the film, which they stated that they will be going deep into, that much more detailed. Also, it's great to see that they are going for more of an Iron Man feel than a Dark Knight feel. I liked TDK more than Iron Man, but it's a much darker film, and has a feel and tone that would not fit Green Lantern at all. He's a guy with a power ring, that is fueled by his thoughts, and that's not quite to realistic. Sure, the time that they say they will spend on the backstory gives me pause, but I trust DC a lot more after their Batman reboot and Watchmen, so I couldn't be more excited for this film.
What are your thoughts?
Go see something good!
Your number one spot for a daily dose of movie information. From reviews to top 10's to random news and notes, it's all here at I Are Movies.