Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Some news, Top 10, and what makes a horror film?

Alright, I have a lot to get into, so lets just get down to it with some news and notes for today...

- Transformers 2 and G.I. Joe footage will be shown at the upcoming comicon...they are expecting 140,000 people to show for the event...3 TIMES THE SIZE OF ROTHBURY...let that sink in for a second...
- Tarantino's next film, Inglorious Bastards, is set to start filming in October, and he wants to open at next years Canne film festival...

- For all you dumb comedy fans (and that's fans of dumb comedies, not dumb fans) here's the poster for the upcoming mock flick, Disaster Movie...



- Alright, the last thing I have to talk about is a funny little thing. It's a promotional trailer for a mockumentary surrounding Tropic Thunder. In the spirit of the documentary about Apocalypse Now, Hearts of Darkness, here's the trailer for Rain of Madness...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmMQD4og-JA&eurl=http://www.themovieblog.com/

Don't know if this will get an actual release or just a special feature on the DVD, but it looks funny, so I am interested...what about you?

So, now it's top 10 time, and this should be an interesting one. This top 10, and the question I will ask you guys for some response on were both bred out of the fact that I am really bored while at work, and think about stuff like this. So, as in my last note about Will Smith, I was told that Leonardo DiCaprio was overrated, and that I thought he was probably in my top 10. So, while at work, I thought up my top 10 actors and actresses, however I will say that this is not of all time. This is my 10 favorite actors and actresses as of this second, that, if they have a film coming out, I will run and see it...

ACTORS

NAME (Favorite Role)

10. Leonardo DiCaprio (Romeo + Juliet or Gangs of New York)
9. Benicio Del Toro (Traffic)
8. Ryan Gosling (Half Nelson)
7. Gael Garcia Bernal (The Motorcycle Diaries or Amores Perros)
6. Javier Bardem (The Sea Inside or No Country for Old Men)
5. Tommy Lee Jones (No Country For Old Men)
4. Tony Leung (In The Mood For Love)
3. Christian Bale (Rescue Dawn)
2. Robert Downey Jr. (Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang)
1. Daniel Day-Lewis (The Ballad of Jack and Rose or There Will Be Blood...all roles actually)


ACTRESSES
10. Zooey Dechanel (All The Real Girls)
9. Umma Thurman (Kill Bill Vol. 2)
8. Nicole Kidman (Moulin Rouge)
7. Julian Moore (Magnolia)
6. Juliette Binoche (Cache)
5. Angelina Jolie (A Mighty Heart)
4. Zhang Ziyi (2046)
3. Naomi Watts (Mulholland Drive)
2. Cate Blanchet (Notes on A Scandal or The Aviator)
1. Jennifer Connelly (House of Sand and Fog...anything she does...)


So, please, post your favorites and lets start a discussion...

Speaking of discussion, while I was at work, I began to think why most new age "horror" films don't work for me. This led me to decide that these films are not true horror films, at least not to me. Take the difference between the new and original Halloween films. The old one was a brisk 90 minutes, low budget, and never showed a drop of blood. Also, the score was great, and the scares were not over done. However, in the newest film, the score is obnoxious, the scares are overdone, and ultimately excessively gory, about 2 and 1/4 hours long, big budget, and gave the character an unnecessary back story. So, the question to you guys is, what makes a good horror film?? I have some criteria, but I will get into that later because I really want to hear from you guys. What makes a good horror film, and what is your favorite??

Alright, that's all I've got for now, come back later for more news and notes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your number one spot for a daily dose of movie information. From reviews to top 10's to random news and notes, it's all here at I Are Movies.

Total Pageviews