Thursday, April 23, 2009
NEWS: More Details On Rian Johnson's LOOPER Released...
One of the most underappreciated films of the last 5 years is a little indie flick called Brick. Single handedly revitalizing the film noir genre, Brick was Rian Johnson's look at what would happen if a film like the Third Man was set in highschool.
Well, he's back with his much anticipated and much delayed second film, the con man picture, The Brothers Bloom. Starring Adrian Brody and Mark Ruffalo, this film looks at two brothers who try to pull one last heist.
Then there is his upcoming film, Looper. Another genre film, not much has been written about this film. He has been working on this since the production on Brick ended, at least in some shape and form, and when he discussed it on an episode of Filmspotting, I couldn't wait to hear more. Then, over the last two or three years, not much has really been released about this film, outside of a one line plot summary on IMDb. Until now.
In a recent interview with the good guys over at /Film, Johnson enlightened us all as to what his next film will entail. Here are some highlights:
- The film will be set roughly thirty years in the future
- The film will depict a dystopian society that has gone to “hell.”
- A disruptive element will have traveled back in time from even further in the future
- The time travel element is part of the setup, much like in The Terminator, but not an active ongoing part of the story
- Looper will be “very dark, very violent. It’s the exact opposite of Bloom.”
- Looper is a story set in a present day (30 years ahead) society in which a group of hitmen are sent their victims from the future.
I can not stress how excited this news makes me. Johnson is easily one of if not the most interesting up and coming director working today, and is one of probably 5 directors I trust no matter what. He has a really great style, and is one hell of a great writer. It's also really impressive to see a director jump genres like he has, and with Brothers Bloom being released soon to amazing reviews, making the jump successfully, is just shocking. Keep your eye out for this one.
Go see something good!
Your number one spot for a daily dose of movie information. From reviews to top 10's to random news and notes, it's all here at I Are Movies.