Tuesday, April 14, 2009

SUMMER MOVIE PREVIEW: July...

So, over at /Film, they have decided to put together a few video blogs about this upcoming summer movie season. While I haven't had the luck of gaining video capabilities (no camera over here), I have the time to put together a post in a similar fashion. However, I do want to hear your opinions on these films. These are the 5 films I am most looking forward to, being released this upcoming July...


5. Harry Potter and The Half-blood Prince



I've seen two Harry Potter films, the third and the fifth respectively, and I must say, I'm a fan. They are kind of like the Pirates series, where you won't be seeing me walk around telling people that I'm a fan, but, I am. The Potter films are interesting visually, at least the third one, and seem to be getting darker with each instalment, not to be outdone by the recent one. Sure, there have been delays, but with the release of the first trailer, it launched into my "what to look for" list. Not my most anticipated film ever, but in a really weak month, it's one I'm looking forward to.

4. Funny People



Now, this one is a little weird for me to put up here. I'm not a big fan of Judd Apatow. I thought both 40 Year-Old-Virgin and Knocked Up were very flawed, and fell flat on their crude faces after the first 30 minutes of sex jokes and pop culture references. However, this has a ton going for it. Adam Sandler returning to stand up, a great cast including Jason Schwartzman, and a very interesting plot. Comedian is diagnosed with something, given a short time to live, beats it, and has a new outlook on life, and tries to get back the love he lost. Throw in some bromance and stand-up from everyone and their mother, and you have a must see comedy.

3. Bruno



Another one where I had no expectations going in, Bruno falls in at my number 3 spot. Borat, as a film, sucked. It was unfunny on a second viewing, over quoted, and made me want to punch my classmates in the mouth when discussed. Sure, it caused one hell of a McDonald's fueled conversation, but so has 1000 other films. Yet, after this insane Gaybi filled Red Band trailer for Bruno, I can't help but look forward to it. I'm sorry, it's just to funny.

2. Public Enemies



This one is a simple math problem.

Johnny Depp + Christian Bale + Michael Mann + Mann's digital film making + crime + Marion Cotillard in a hot hot hot dress = Public f***ing Enemies, and my number 2 most anticipated film of July.

1. 500 Days of Summer



This is this months must see film. Hitting wide on the 17th, this Sundance smash features a great cast headed by the secret celebrity crush, Zooey Deschanel, and Joseph Gordon Levitt in a film about love. As the tag line says, it's not a love story, but a story about love, and from the looks of the trailer, it's a story that will change the world of romance films, forever. Or at least it should.

Come back on Friday for the last instalment, August.

Go see something good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your number one spot for a daily dose of movie information. From reviews to top 10's to random news and notes, it's all here at I Are Movies.

Total Pageviews