Friday, July 24, 2009

NEWS: James Wan To Write And Direct Castlevania...

Now this is a video game movie I think I may just have to get behind.

A while back, I posted a news post talking about Why Video Game Movies Suck, and How (the then much talked about) Bioshock Will Be Different. Well, when news about a Castlevania film first hit the web a few years back, I was one to really not think much of it. Sure, the game is amazing and all, but to me the whole idea of a film version of that game had past the point of relevance. However, that may have just changed a little with a recent announcement about who will pen and direct the piece.

BloodyDisgusting has the scoop:

James Wan, the co-mastermind behind the Saw franchise, and director of Dead Silence and Death Sentence, will be co-writing and directing Castlevania for producer Paul W.S. Anderson. Inside you’ll find a tid-bit from Wan about his forthcoming adaptation. Sylvain White was originally slated to direct. Castlevania is an adaptation of the popular NES game from the 80’s that has since become a massive video game franchise.

“I’m very fresh on this project, so its early stages and I’m still trying to work things out, but the producers love my vision for it,” James Wan tells Bloody-Disgusting in an exclusive chat. “I’ll be working on the script with a writer to give it a new spin, different to the previous versions. This will have my stamp on it which Konami is very excited about.


Personally, one of the superior modern horror films, or at least the most influential horror film of say, the past 5-7 years is Saw. It's a phenomenal film, that really doesn't get it's just due because of the turds that have been shat out in it's aftermath. Saws 2-5 are subsequently crappy, with Saw being the crowning acheivement, particularly due to the masterful direction of Wan. Sure, every other film he's done has been garbage, ESPECIALLY Dead Silence and Death Sentence, but the one thing you can say about Wan is that he has a particular style, one that I think will work with Castlevania. At least it keeps Paul W.S. Anderson out of the directors chair. We can all be thankful for that.

Go see something good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your number one spot for a daily dose of movie information. From reviews to top 10's to random news and notes, it's all here at I Are Movies.

Total Pageviews