Sunday, January 11, 2009

NEWS: Golden Globes Recap...

So, since I literally have nothing better to do on a Sunday night (besides Brinner, which will be emmaculate), I have decided to throw up all of the information that one needs to be prepped for the Golden Globes tonight. Also, since I'm a geek, and also addicted to Facebook, I will be updating all of the film related awards with their respective winners, and my thoughts on them.

OPENING MONTAGE
Set to the song “When I Grow Up”

FILM SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Presented by Jennifer Lopez.
Kate Winslet -THE READER

FILM ORIGINAL SONG
Presented by Sting
"The Wrestler" by Bruce Springsteen


8:11 - So, it's the first break from movie stuff, with nothing really interesting to mention. I am insanely shocked by Winslet's win, yet I still have this unflinching feeling that Penelope Cruz can still get the Oscar. However, no one has more momentum going into the Academy Awards than Mrs. Sam Mendes does at this point in time...

8:16 - Now we have some tv stuff, and I would really like to get this off of my chest. I have a huge problem with John Adams being considered a TV Movie, at least in the Critic's Choice Awards. It took home that award, and is simply a television mini-series. Recount is hands down the best Made For TV Film, and should have won that award, yet I guess I'm just angry, as I actually haven't had a chance to check out John Adams.

8:18 - More and more tv stuff...And we have an award going to Laura Dern for Recount. Best Supporting Actress in a TV Miniseries or Film... She was brilliant, and so was the film, so it's completely deserved. Seriously, if you have any interest in politics, or at least the 2000 and 2004 elections, make a double feature with Recount and There Goes The Nation...Two BRILLIANT films...

8:25 - Two things. 1) Don Cheadle is going to be in Hotel For Dogs? What a great actor must do for some bank. 2) I actually kind of like seeing these little clips of the movies nominated for Best Picture. Right now we are seeing footage from Burn After Reading, and it just reminds what great of a year we have had this year, overall. Last year was much more top heavy, but I think that this may be a deeper year than last. Your thoughts?

8:31 - Wow. Anna Paquin takes home Best Actress in a Television Series Drama. I haven't heard much about the series, but this definitely puts it up near my must check out list. She's a really underappreciated actress, and also knowing that American Beauty scribe, Alan Ball is behind it, makes it something I really need to check out. Have any of you seen this series?

8:39 - Finally, we have another film award, oh, but wait, what are three aliens doing on the screen? Oh, it's the Jonas Brothers. This was one hell of a deep year for animated films, yet I think Wall-E is walking away with this one, hands down. The winner is...


FILM ANIMATED FEATURE
Presented by the Jonas Brothers
Wall-E

8:40 - No surprise there. Wall-E really is a brilliant film. It's such a sweet and heartwarming film, yet the world view is so bleek and truly Kubrickian almost, that it's a really really interesting film to take a deeper look at. Pixar is heads above every other single film studio, live action or not. Now we have Johnny Depp presenting Best Actress in a Comedy, and it's a solid group, and the winner is...

FILM COMEDY ACTRESS
Presented by Johnny Depp
Sally Hawkins-HAPPY GO LUCKY

8:43 - So, Sally Hawkins takes it, and to little surprise. I was leaning towards Rebecca Hall for the simple fact that Vicky Cristina Barcelona is such a brilliant film, and she was probably the best part of it, yet I haven't seen Happy-Go-Lucky, so I really couldn't have a totally educated guess.

8:52 - Now we have a clip from Benjamin Button, and I think I may break out in tears at the thought of this film. I really can not say enough good things about this film. It's a gorgeous film, with a truly brilliant story to tell. Not just in the extraordinary parts, but in the most mundane of moments, that truly make the person. I can't do it justice in this short amount of time, so please, see Benji Button.

8:53 - Now we have Best TV Movie Or Miniseries, and I would be shocked to see John Adams lose this one. I want Recount to win, but I don't have such high hopes. Here. We. Go...

TV MOVIE OR MINISERIES
Presented by Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange
John Adams

8:56 - No surprise at all. Now we've got Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture. Can I just say that I LOVE Tom Cruise being nominated for Tropic Thunder. Heath Ledger should take this in a cake walk, but here is the winner...

FILM SUPPORTING ACTOR
Presented by Cameron Diaz and Mark Wahlberg
Heath Ledger - THE DARK KNIGHT

8:58 - Perfect pick. I really honestly think that Heath did something LEGENDARY. Not only in the overall feel of his performance, but the creepy and just amazing control he had over his performance. Being able to go from charismatic to completely sadistic all in a reaction to being called "crazy", it's something that I don't think I've seen in a really long time. It's a brilliant performance and makes losing him all the more sad.

9:01 - So, the first hour is over, and all I can say is that, while I did indeed see quite a few films, I've got a few to catch up on before Feburary. I've got local release dates for Revolutionary Road, The Wrestler AND Happy Go Lucky and The Reader are all making their ways to my local 3.50$ theatre, so expect reviews of those films in the upcoming weeks, hopefully before Mr. Oscar is handed out.

9:05 - People pray to God, Allah, and Buddah, however, my favorite deity is easily Tom Brokaw...

FILM CLIP FOR “FROST/NIXON”
Introduced by Tom Brokaw

9:06 - I love Foreign films, however, I really wish they would make their way to theatres a little more often. The only one I've gotten a chance to check out is Let The Right One In, and it was really a brilliant film. Not nominated here, yet one I really think you should check out. It's like Twilight, just good. My pick is Waltz With Bashir...

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Presented by (unknown)
Waltz With Bashir

9:07 - Again, no real surprise, but I really could not be wanting to see a film any more than I am when it comes to Waltz. It looks gorgeous, it's relevant, and it's gotten EVERY single critics foreign film award. I really need to check this out.

9:09 - I think Brinner has been made, so if my comments are a little late, I must apologize. One can not pass up such a brilliant thing. Actually, I will post winners, but I will not be blogging. Sorry...

TV MOVIE OR MINISERIES ACTRESS
Presented by Aaron Eckhart and Maggie Gyllenhaal
Laura Linney - JOHN ADAMS

FILM SCREENPLAY
Presented by Elizabeth Banks and Seth Rogen
Simon Beufoy - SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

9:42 - So, I'm back, and nothing much, at least film wise happened, so I guess I didn't miss anything. We are moving on to Best Score, and if Slumdog doesn't get this, I will be really surprised. Alexandre Desplat should get the award, but I fully believe A. R. Rahman will get it...

FILM ORIGINAL SCORE
Presented by Sean Combs and Jennifer Lopez
A.R. Rahman - SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

9:45 - So, for those of you who have seen it, can I please find out why it is so beloved? I really enjoyed the film, and sure, it's a great story of love and life, but I think it's not half as emotionally moving as people say it is. The direction is quite brilliant however, especially when you figure in the age and the caliber of performances. I just don't think it's the best film of the year.


9:48 - Tina Fey is GORGEOUS, just thought I would get that off of my chest...

CECIL B. DEMILLE AWARD TO STEVEN SPIELBERG
Presented by Martin Scorsese

9:55 - Now we have the Cecil B. Demille Award, and all I can say is that it couldn't go to a more brilliant director, even as indie as I like to be. I live and breath for the independent film, but for sheer cinematic experiences, no single director made me love the art and experience that is film. From Jaws to Indiana Jones to Jurassic Park, no single director gave more to my early love of film. Not to mention, that now as time has gone on, films like Schindler's List and Munich show that he is a true legend. Not my favorite director, but there is no way one can play down the impact he's had on cinema. It's also really crazy to see Martin Scorsese give him the award.

10:04 - We live in lucky times. Sure, the world is pretty much going down the proverbial drain, but there was just a cut of Steven Speilberg talking, and then a shot of Martin Scorsese, Tom Hanks, and Leonarod DiCaprio, and I'm really happy that I'm able to take in all of what is going on in today's cinema. We have the great chance to watch masters of the craft such as Eastwood, Scorsese and Speilberg helming award winning pictures, and greats of their time or of all time like Hanks and DiCaprio perform. We really live in lucky times...

10:12 - Here's a 1:30 long sneak peek on what looks to be the brilliant Pixar animated film, Up...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOzqIL_HSBk&eurl=http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/01/10/sneak-peak-pixars-up/&feature=player_embedded

There isn't much going on, so I thought I would let you all check that out...

10:13 - Now we are moving on to Best Director, and all I can say is Danny Boyle ftw. I personally would pick David Fincher for the sheer brilliance of his filmmaking, but Slumdog has won everything else, so, why not this. The winner is...

FILM DIRECTOR
Presented by Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson
Danny Boyle - SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

10:14 - This. Is. Slumdog's. Year. Can we just give it the Oscar already?

10:16 - Now we have a clip of Revolutionary Road, a film I am DYING to see, and will see come the 23rd (double feature with The Wrestler. Depressing duo? I sure think so...)

10:18 - Best Actor in a Motion Picture Musical or Comedy, and this may be the most interesting one of the night. Javier SHOULD get it, but I can really see it going to Dustin Hoffman, for Last Chance Harvey.

FILM COMEDY ACTOR
Presented by Sandra Bullock
Colin Farrel - IN BRUGES

10:19 - Surprise, surprise, Mr. Farell with the win. Still, I don't see him getting an Oscar nod for it. I hope so, because that film deserves all of the accolades it gets, but I just don't really see it getting there.

10:23 - Annndddd, break...

10:28 - Best Motion Picture Musical or Comedy is up next, and we are taken by an awkward if not brilliant speech from Mr. Borat...

FILM COMEDY/MUSICAL
Presented by Sacha Baron Cohen
Vicky Cristina Barcelona

10:30 - YES! I am a vindicated man! I have been championing this film since day 1, and it's a much deserved win. Now, this begs the question. One comedy always seems to get nominated for an Oscar, could this one be it? I sure hope so...

10:38 - TEAM HATHAWAY!

FILM DRAMA ACTRESS
Presented by (unknown)
Kate Winslet - Revolutionary Road

10:39 - I'm speachless. Congrats to Kate! She is one of the best actresses working today, and she totally deserves it...

10:43 - All we've got left is Best Actor Drama, and Best Film Drama, and it was just announced Man Men won, and I must say it's a brilliant show. I'm just saying...

10:50 - This is the fist fight to end all fist fights. I'm leaning towards Sean Penn, but I've been wrong a couple of times today, so who knows. It's between Penn and Rourke, so who knows...

FILM DRAMA ACTOR
Presented by Susan Sarandon
Mickey Rourke - THE WRESTLER

10:51 - I honestly couldn't tell you who I think will get the Oscar. It's a tie, and is one HELL of a fight to the finish. Rourke has the momentum though...Who do YOU think will win? Penn or Rourke?

10:59 - It's been an AWESOME night, but it's coming to a close, and we finish with Best Motion Picture Drama...

FILM DRAMA
Presented by (unknown)
Slumdog Millionaire

11:00 - Thanks for reading, if you did, and I hope you enjoy my thoughts, as I hope to get yours in the comment section.

Come back later for more news and notes!

Go see something good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your number one spot for a daily dose of movie information. From reviews to top 10's to random news and notes, it's all here at I Are Movies.

Total Pageviews