Sunday, August 23, 2009

NEWS: Eli Roth To Direct Baywatch 3-Double-D?

Alright, so the title of this post is a bit misleading. There is not really any news surrounding this post, and Eli Roth ISN'T directing a Baywatch feature. However, through a discussion with Hero Complex, an interesting little bit of dialouge was released from an interview with Complex and Roth, about the fact that, after Cabin Fever, he WAS going to helm a Baywatch feature. And you will never be able to guess who he was going to have pen the script. Here's the scoop:

"After 'Cabin Fever,' I had this meeting at CAA with my agents," Roth said. "They said, 'There's this project and this project, but what do you think about directing "Baywatch"?' And I was like, 'I want to do it! I'll cash in all my credibility!'"

"They said, 'There's no writer.' So I called up my friend Richard Kelly, the man who did a movie called 'Donnie Darko.' I was like, 'Rich, I have a great idea. It'll be ridiculous. We'll make it like a "Simpsons" episode, totally absurd.' And so we went and met with the producers who owned the rights. We said, 'You can say, "From the creators of 'Cabin Fever' and 'Donnie Darko' — 'Baywatch 3-Double-D'!"'"


So after Cabin Fever and this project was pitched and failed to get made, Eli Roth went on to make Hostel and Hostel 2, while Richard Kelly wrote Domino, and made Southland Tales and The Box. Just a few films from the people you would expect to hear would be behind a Baywatch film.

Honestly, here's the deal. Of the three different versions of a Baywatch film (Roth's, an action film, and a Stripes style comedy), the one I would actually see, would ONLY have been Eli Roth's version. I don't really appreciate Richard Kelly's films like most people I know (I AM quite interested in The Box however. At least based soley on the trailer and the Twilight Zone plot), however, this would have been by far the most interesting. Give Baywatch a much more adult feel with blood, gore, and nudity. It would be a vastly superior film to the other two ideas. Sure, Roth isn't the most phenomenal of directors, but I do quite like Hostel, and Cabin Fever is a welcome addition to the horror genre, in my humble opinion. Hostel 2 isn't the greatest of things, but honestly, I am quite the fan of his.

However, the film we WILL see is going to end up being the comedy, which is the most bland, so this will probably be the only thing you hear about it on this site. Interesting idea anywho.

What do YOU think?

Go see something good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your number one spot for a daily dose of movie information. From reviews to top 10's to random news and notes, it's all here at I Are Movies.

Total Pageviews