Tuesday, August 18, 2009

NEWS: Neill Blomkamp to Return For District 9 Sequel?

If he has his way, then it could very well happen.

There is NO doubt in the mind of your's truly, that one day, whether it be tomorrow or in three-five years, that we will see a sequel to the critically loved, box office stud that is District 9. It's one of the biggest surprise hits of the year, and with a budget of right above 30$ million, it's 37.5$ million gross for opening weekend makes a sequel a certainty. The only question, who would take the helm?

Well, if Fangoria's interview with director Neill Blomkamp is any hint, it may be the same man who took us to D9:

"I'd love to make a sequel, because it's so creatively rewarding to me; there's just something about [the story]," he told Fangoria. "It's my background mixed with the science fiction that I loved. I'd really like to go back to the world of DISTRICT 9—which, without Sharlto's character, would be a very different kind of movie. So I think automatically the two of us will be reunited again, should the public decide that this film is something they want to see and it's successful."

If he is going on those credentials, success, then we are certain to see him back in the directors chair. Now the question is, what EXACTLY could he do, since he wants to bring back our main lead, Wikus. For those who actually have seen the film, our main alien lead, Christopher, will be back to South Africa in three years, for an unknown reason.

D9 is easily my favorite movie this year, and is one of the most original pieces of cinema I've seen in a long time. Sure, I hope he gets his much talked about straight horror film off the ground, but seeing Blomkamp take me back to the world of D9, would be a welcome sequel for yours truly.

What do YOU think?

Go see something good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your number one spot for a daily dose of movie information. From reviews to top 10's to random news and notes, it's all here at I Are Movies.

Total Pageviews