Monday, November 10, 2008

FORUM: Tarantino is Getting A Composer for Basterds?


*Yes, that is how you spell it when talking about Tarantino's film

Hey guys! So today was a pretty busy day in the land of movies, but I have just gotten wind of this little diddy. Thanks to /film for the update...

Rumor has it that Quentin Tarantino has enlisted legendary film composer Ennio Morricone to compose the score for his upcoming WWII film Inglourious Basterds, this according to Italy Global Nation. Tarantino is notoriously a fan of Morrisone, having used a a bunch of his Spaghetti Western themes in the Kill Bill films and even his latest, Death Proof.

Tarantino Archives says the story isn’t 100% confirmed. I personally remember Tarantino saying that he wouldn’t be hiring a composer on this film because he likes picking his own soundtracks (and to be fair, he’s really good at that). You might remember that a cool remix of Morricone’s “The Ecstasy of Gold” from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly was recently used in David Fincher’s Nike commercial.


Now, the article goes on to bring up a good point, that I must agree with 100%. I have totally mixed feelings about this piece of news. First, there is the side of me that is for this all the way, because I mean come on, it's Ennio Morricone, one of the most influential composers in history, and one who has shaped the music of Kill Bill and even Death Proof with his Spaghetti Western themes.

Then there is the other side of me that wants this to just be a rumor, because with Tarantino's compilations, which are THE BEST of any soundtracks ever, and I'll take anyone to the mat who disagrees, and I want more of that. I get so much out of his films, especially when it comes to finding great songs from years past, that have been lost in the shuffle.

So this is where you come in. What are your thoughts? Should Tarantino try to get Morricone to compose this film, or should he stick to compilations?

Go see something good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your number one spot for a daily dose of movie information. From reviews to top 10's to random news and notes, it's all here at I Are Movies.

Total Pageviews