Tuesday, November 18, 2008

NEWS: X-Men 4: Laguna Beach...


Today has been one hell of a busy day, and the news just keeps rolling in...

It looks as though the rumors has been true, and Fox Studios is now currently in search for a director to helm X-Men: First Class. Variety is reporting that O.C. and Gossip Girl Creator/Producer Josh Schwartz is set to pen the script for First Class...

Studio has tapped "Gossip Girl" creator Josh Schwartz to write "X-Men: First Class." He'd also been offered a chance to direct the film, but declined.

Schwartz, the creator and exec producer of CW's teen sudser hit as well as Fox's youth-centric "The O.C." and NBC's "Chuck," is expected to inject a next-gen sensibility into the superhero series, which has collectively earned $1.2 billion worldwide.

Fox is keeping quiet on its specific plans for the new project.

But the studio has been considering ways to continue its successful series of "X-Men" movies after the third installment, "X-Men: The Last Stand," helmed by Brett Ratner, collected $459 million in 2006.

It's been leaning toward using the younger characters introduced in the previous pics in future installments --teenagers with powers taught at the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning.


Now, personally, I have little hope for this film. I never watched the O.C., and ditto for Gossip Girl, but I just don't think this is a necessary film. If they take the road of an origin to the main group of X-Men, then I may be in. However, the way this news, and the full article, sound, it seems as though they will be going on with the rest of the cast, such as Ice Man and Angel.

Resulting film would likely draw from elements of the Marvel Comic of the same name, launched in 2006, and enlist such characters as Iceman, Rogue, Angel, Colossus, Jubilee and Shadowcat, who have appeared prominently or made cameos in prior pics.

This is one that I am interested in simply because it's a comic book film, but I have little to no hope for it. However, nothing more has been said, so if someone gets behind it, and it starts to look solid, then my opinion will change, but as of this second, this is one I will probably be avoiding.

What are your thoughts?

Go see something good!

1 comment:

  1. I actually really like The O.C., at least the two seasons I've seen of it. My impression of the show before I had seen it was that it was really stupid, but then a friend recommended I give it a try. I was surprised to find that the writing was really clever and engaging, and definitely appealed to the geek in me. With Schwartz's good sense of humor and affection for comic books in general, I actually think this movie could turn out all right.

    ReplyDelete

Your number one spot for a daily dose of movie information. From reviews to top 10's to random news and notes, it's all here at I Are Movies.

Total Pageviews