Sunday, June 14, 2009

WATERFRONT FILM FEST EXCLUSIVE: A Few Minutes With Jason Ritter...



So, as many of you may know, I absolutely ADORE Peter and Vandy. It's a stellar film, with a great visual style, set around a realistic and very intriguing story. However, all would be for naught if the cast wasn't up to par.

Lead by two great lead performances by Jess Weixler and Jason Ritter, the film is not only an entertaining film, but a look into what a relationship does to each partner and the turmoil that a relationship can cause.

After a documentary called Pride Of Lions today, I had the chance to sit down with the aforementioned Jason Ritter for a few minutes. It was a bit of an impromptu interview (I was sitting probably two rows behind him during the film and decided to see if he would let me ask him a few questions) and I must say, he is one of the nicest guys I've met, and I hope the following is interesting for all of you. Enjoy.


ME: First, I would like to say that I loved Peter and Vandy. It was a really great film

JASON RITTER (JR): Thanks man, that means a lot.

ME: Your character, Peter, seemed very real and down to earth. Did you have any past experiences or current experiences that you were able to draw from?

JR: Well, I've been in a relationship for a long time now, and I think that as the relationship grows, you begin to confront the very worst parts of you. The script seemed extremely real to me, and I guess that is what drew me to it. It brought up the fact that as a relationship grows, different kinds of love also grow. You let the other person see the ugliest side of you, and if you come out of that, the person will truly love you for who you are. I think that everyone can somehow relate to this, and I was able to draw a lot from my experiences, which made the film a whole lot more real to me.

ME: What has the experience been like making this film?

JR: It was a very intense shoot. The film was shot in 18 days, with 3 days of rehersals before hand. The film is based on a play, and Jay's (Jay DiPietro, writer/director of Peter and Vandy) writing was amazing, and very specific. It got to the core of how people truly talk, in things like half sentences, stutters, and broken sentences. Me and Jess (Weixler, his co-star) ended up running lines all night long, and we had previously not worked with each other. This allowed us to get to know each other in a similar way that our characters did. We got to meet, flirt, and inevitable get ugly, which really let us put us into the film.

ME: How was it working with Jess Weixler?

JR: She's incredible. She's really receptive, and unlike most actresses who seem to just read lines, she looks directly at you when speaking, which allows me to get a lot more comfortable. We were both scared at the beginning, knowing that the movie depended on our chemistry and our performances, but she was someone who I could play with, which let me open up more. She's just not only an incredible actress, but an incredible person too.

ME: Well thanks for letting me ask you a few questions, and I would like to say again that I really loved the film, and I can't wait to see it again.

JR: Thanks man, we put a lot into it, and it's nice to hear people enjoy it. Thanks.

Hopefully that was interesting for you all, as it's easily one of the coolest things I've gotten to do as a film blogger. I would like to thank Jason Ritter for letting me bug him with a few of my questions, and hopefully you all will get a chance to check out Peter And Vandy, as it's a film that should not be missed. You will hear much more about this film as the weeks pass.

Go see something good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your number one spot for a daily dose of movie information. From reviews to top 10's to random news and notes, it's all here at I Are Movies.

Total Pageviews